Language courses can be followed at any period during your 2nd or 3rd BA/IBA bachelor year at the Language & Training Centre (front office located in the ESSC, in the main hall of the Sanders building). The LTC offers courses in Arabic, Chinese, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, German (in cooperation with Goethe Institut), and French (in cooperation with Alliance Française) at several levels. It is also possible to follow Dutch courses (for IBA-students) and English courses (for Bedrijfskunde-students).
Students can choose to take 1, 2 or maximum 3 modules of various language courses. Each approved language course at LTC lasts 10 weeks (equals 25 in-class hours) and ends with a final examination.
Award of credits is the following:
- 1 module = 2.5 EC
- 2 modules = 5.0 EC
- 3 modules = 7.5 EC
In order to use language courses as an elective (to be eligible for the 2.5 to max. 7.5 EC) - and to receive the reimbursement - there are a number of requirements that apply:
- There is mandatory attendance (at least 25 in-class hours per module) for students who take these courses for credits. Failing to meet the attendance requirements means that you will not receive any credits, even if you pass the final exam and receive your certificate.
- Students need to successfully complete the language course with an exam. We need a certificate including a passing grade (certificate of completion or participation is not sufficient).
- The language elective credits will be used within the elective space of the BA/IBA study programme. Students who wish to take language courses as extracurricular electives are not entitled to a refund.
- Students can only request language elective credits upon completion of all BA/IBA B1 courses (60 EC). Requests for approval and reimbursement can therefore only be submitted in the 2nd or 3rd BA/IBA bachelor year.
Reimbursement & credits in B3 elective space
Please note: in most cases you have to do an intake first! You can find more information about the intake on the LTC website (choose the language of your preference first).
Step 1: Enroll and pay for for the first language course module of your choice.
Step 2: If you want to follow other language courses, you can also enroll and pay for the second (and third) language course module. If you wish to continue with the same language at a higher level, then you can enroll and pay for the second (and third) module after passing the first course module (if applicable).
Step 3: After passing all language modules/courses you wish to take (max 3), you can submit your language elective request to BSc Programme Management via firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you include the following documents:
A copy of your certificate(s), including your grades on the back of the certificate(s)
The completed request form for approval and reimbursement of language electives
Proof of payment for the course(s) (e.g. receipt from ESSC, bank statement)
Note: make sure to submit all language courses you wish to take (max 3) in one request.
|Please note: reimbursement of language electives is only possible for students who use the corresponding credits within the elective space of their BSc BA/IBA study programme. Students who already have 30 EC within their elective space and/or wish to take language courses as extracurricular electives are not entitled to a refund.|
RSM will only partially reimburse the costs of the successfully completed courses, not the costs for books, examinations, intakes, etc. RSM asks for a personal contribution of minimal €50,- for module 1, €50,- for module 2, and €100,- for module 3. However, the reimbursement is capped at € 250,- per language course module. This means that the personal contribution might be higher if your language course costs more than € 300,-.
Example (for modules 1 and 2):
- Course costs 250: RSM reimburses 200 student pays 50
- Course costs 350: RSM reimburses 250 student pays 100
Example (for module 3):
- Course costs 250: RSM reimburses 150 student pays 100
- Course costs 400: RSM reimburses 250 student pays 150
For French courses taken at Alliance Française and German courses taken at Goethe Institut, the reimbursement is capped at € 300,- per module with personal contribution of €50,- for module 1, €50,- for module 2, and €100,- for module 3.
Language courses outside LTC / Alliance Française / Goethe Institut
In exceptional cases you may be granted permission by the RSM Examination Board to take language courses outside of the LTC. Please seek approval by submitting a request through Osiris Case for the language institution and their courses before you sign up. You can find more information here. Please note:
- The course(s) must have at least 25 in-class hours per module/course;
- The course(s) must end with an examination. We need a certificate including a passing grade, a certificate of completion is not sufficient!
In the event that you are permitted to take a course at an approved external institution, bear in mind that you will only be reimbursed for the amount that a similar course would cost at the LTC (or less, if the course costs are lower than the LTC tariff). Please be informed that this would result in a higher personal contribution.
Students do not need approval from the RSM Examination Board for language courses at LTC, Alliance Française, or Goethe Institut.
You can only earn a maximum of 7.5 EC with language elective(s). All approved requests for language credits will be entered into Osiris as PASS (no grade will be registered). Similar to exchange courses, these credits will thus not count towards your GPA.
For information on the language courses please consult the LTC website. For other questions please contact BSc Programme Management via email@example.com.
Planning to go on Exchange?
Students cannot take more than 3 language course modules, this includes any language courses followed during the Exchange programme. Students who fulfill 30 EC with their exchange programme cannot receive other elective credits, including language electives, as their elective space is then already fulfilled.